Canadian tax preparation for international IT professionals

Sprintax Canada is the only online self-preparation software
for Canadian non-resident income tax returns

Tax return from $69.95

Get your tax forms securely online


What does Sprintax Canada do for international IT professionals?

Non-resident and emigrant tax preparation software

IT professionals are in huge demand worldwide and Canada provides premium job opportunities for Software Developers, IT Project Managers, Computer Programmers, Computer Engineers, and much more.

You can find many options for filing your taxes in Canada online. However, non-resident tax returns are quite complex and they are excluded from the software supporting NETFILE and EFILE options.

Our software makes Canadian tax prep easy!

Sprintax Canada can help you:

Maximize your tax refund

Determine your residency status

Stay fully compliant with the CRA

How Sprintax Canada tax preparation works

Your Canadian tax preparation in a few simple steps


Create an account with Sprintax Canada


Answer a few simple questions


Sprintax checks deductions and expenses


Sprintax prepares the tax form


Print forms and send to tax authorities

wave wave

We are here to help!

Sprintax Canada is the only online tax preparation tool for non-residents in Canada. We will ensure you stay 100% compliant with the CRA.

Got some Canadian tax questions?

Contact our Live Chat agents anytime 24/7

Frequently asked questions

It’s important to properly determine your Canadian tax residency status in order to file your tax return correctly.

In short, you are considered a non-resident IT professional in Canada if:

  1. You normally live in another country and are not considered a resident of Canada, or
    you do not have significant residential ties in Canada;
  2. You lived outside Canada throughout the tax year, or
    you stayed in Canada for less than 183 days in the tax year.

In order to report your foreign income as a non-resident, you must fill out a Federal (TD1) tax form.

This form is used to determine your entitlement to personal tax credits in Canada. In short, if you earn 90% of your income for that tax year in Canada, you can claim the credits. In this case, you should tick ‘yes’ on the first page of the form.

However, if you earned more than 10% of your income outside Canada, you are not entitled to the credits, and you should tick ‘no’ on the first page of the form.

An income tax return is used to report the income you earned and tax you paid during the tax year.

Every taxpayer in Canada, including those on temporary visas (such as a working holiday visa), are obliged to file a tax return where they have had to pay tax for the year.

The deadline for filing your tax return, and paying any balance of tax due is usually 30 April.

Many taxpayers in Canada overpay tax every year. By filing your tax return, you can apply for your tax refund, and get your tax back.

Self-prep means that our software will prepare all of your tax documents for you!

All you have to do is complete our easy online questionnaire, download and print your tax documents, and mail them to the CRA.

If you have overpaid tax while working in Canada, or you are entitled to claim benefits, you may be due a tax refund.

Many non-resident workers are entitled to claim tax back every year.

The easiest way to claim your tax refund is to prepare your tax documents with Sprintax Canada.

You’ll need to pay the outstanding amount to the tax office before the filing deadline. The annual deadline for paying your taxes is typically the 30 April.

You can pay by check, bank transfer or use your credit or debit card.

You can prepare a payment voucher, and mail it to the CRA with a check, or money order if you choose this payment method.

Sprintax Canada will provide the filled-out form for you. You will find detailed information about the method you have chosen in your instructions.

A TD1 form is used to determine whether you’re entitled to personal tax credits in Canada, and how much tax you should pay on the income you earn.

You have to fill out a TD1 form when you start your first-time job in Canada. You also have to complete one when:

  • you have a new employer
  • you want to change credit amounts from previous years
  • you live in a prescribed zone and want to claim the deduction
  • you want to increase the amount of tax deducted at source

You will need a T4 in order to file your tax return in Canada. It is a summary of the income you earned and tax you paid in that particular tax year.

You will receive your T4 from your employer after the end of the tax year (usually in February).

If you earn over the tax-free allowance, you can claim certain expenses, (such as medical, business, and tuition expenses) in order to reduce your tax liability.

If you intend on claim expenses, you must keep all relevant receipts.