Canadian tax preparation for emigrants

Unique online self-preparation tax solution for emigrants and non-residents in Canada.

Tax return from $69.95

Get your tax forms securely online


What does Sprintax Canada do for Canadian emigrants?

Non-resident and emigrant tax preparation software

Every resident that leaves Canada permanently must provide their emigration date to the Canadian tax authorities, along with a tax return for the year of emigration.

You will not be able to e-file your tax return once you emigrate. Instead, you must mail your tax return to the CRA.

You can easily prepare your emigrant tax return online with Sprintax Canada.

How Sprintax Canada tax preparation works

Your Canadian tax preparation in a few simple steps


Create an account with Sprintax Canada


Answer a few simple questions


Sprintax checks deductions and expenses


Sprintax prepares the tax form


Print forms and send to tax authorities

wave wave

We are here to help!

Got questions?

Our Live Chat team is available 24/7 to answer any of your tax questions

Frequently asked questions

You are considered an emigrant for income tax purposes if you:

  • Left Canada with the intention to live in another country
  • Do not hold your residential ties in Canada

Canadian emigrants have to file a tax return if they owe tax or overpaid tax in the tax year and want to claim a refund.

If you don’t have to file a tax return you should inform the CRA of your exit date from Canada.

You are deemed to have sold certain types of property when you leave Canada. This is called deemed disposition and you may need to report a capital gain.

Property would include shares, jewelry, paintings, or a collection.

It’s important to properly determine your Canadian tax residency status in order to file your tax return correctly.

In short, you are considered a non-resident in Canada if:

  1. You normally live in another country and are not considered a resident of Canada, or
    you do not have significant residential ties in Canada
  2. You lived outside Canada throughout the tax year, or
    you stayed in Canada for less than 183 days in the tax year.

In order to report your foreign income as a non-resident, you must fill out a Federal (TD1) tax form.

This form is used to determine your entitlement to personal tax credits in Canada. In short, if you earn 90% of your income for that tax year in Canada, you can claim the credits. In this case, you should tick ‘yes’ on the first page of the form.

However, if you earned more than 10% of your income outside Canada, you are not entitled to the credits, and you should tick ‘no’ on the first page of the form.

Self-prep means that our software will prepare all of your tax documents for you!

All you have to do is complete our easy online questionnaire, download and print your tax documents and mail them to the CRA.

If you have overpaid tax while working in Canada or you are entitled to claim benefits, you may be due a tax refund. Many non-resident workers are entitled to claim tax back every year.

The easiest way to claim your tax refund is to prepare your tax documents with Sprintax Canada.

You’ll need to pay the outstanding amount to the tax office before the filing deadline. The annual deadline for paying your taxes is typically the 30 April.

You can pay by check, bank transfer or use your credit or debit card.

You can prepare a payment voucher, and mail it to the CRA with a check or money order if you choose this payment method. Sprintax Canada will provide the filled-out form for you. You will find detailed information about the method you have chosen in your instructions.