Frequently Asked Questions

Sprintax TDS Canada is a tool that was created specifically to help international students and non-resident individuals who are starting a new job in Canada, getting married, having a child, moving to a Northern zone or caring for a disabled relative, to pay less on their tax bill.

When you start work in Canada, you will need to complete a TD1 federal form and TD1 provincial form (or TP-1015.3-V form for Quebec) and provide them to your employer. Sprintax TDS Canada will help you to prepare these forms correctly – making your life easier.

  • You create an account or log in if you’ve already created an account
  • You then answer some easy-to-understand questions
  • Sprintax TDS Canada reviews your details for all applicable tax credits and deductions
  • Sprintax TDS Canada calculates and prepares the required TD1 and TP-1015.3-V forms for you
  • You print your forms, sign them and give them to your employer

It’s that easy!

Let’s face it. Nobody wants to pay too much tax!

Sprintax TDS Canada will help you claim all of the tax credits and deductions you are entitled to and ensure that you are not overpaying on your tax bill.

Whether or not you can claim credits in Canada will depend on your personal circumstances.

By filling out the easy online questionnaire, our software will help you to determine whether or not you are entitled to claim any credits in Canada.

We will also ensure that you are not claiming anything you are not entitled to and help you avoid an end-of-year tax bill from the Canadian authorities.

If you are a nonresident in Canada, you may not be entitled to personal tax credits for your first year in the country.

In short, if less than 90% of your income for the calendar year is from Canadian sources, you are not allowed to earn tax-free income in Canada for that year. This is known as the 90% rule.

However, if more than 90% of your income for that year came from a Canadian source, you will be entitled to claim the credits.


If you take up more than one job in Canada, then you are required to fill out a TD1 form for each job.

The important thing to remember is that you can’t claim the personal credits twice.

So, if you’re entitled to personal tax credits, you should only claim them for one job. Usually, it’s most beneficial to claim the credits for the job that pays the most.

If you do not fill out your TD1 correctly, you could end up owing money to the Canadian tax authorities.

However, by using Sprintax TDS Canada, you are guaranteed to receive a 100% compliant TD1 form.

The TD1, Personal Tax Credit Return form is used to determine how much tax you should pay to the Canadian tax authorities on your income. Meanwhile, the TP-1015.3V (Source Deduction Return) form is used to determine how much tax you should pay on your income in Quebec (if applicable).

These forms are very important and it is vital that they are filled out correctly, as this could mean the difference between you getting a tax refund or owing tax after you file your income tax return.

You will need to complete both a federal and provincial TD1 form (or a TP-1015.3-V form for employment in Quebec) when you:

  • Start a new job for the first time in Canada
  • Have a new employer
  • Want to change details from previous years (you got married, had children, started to take care of a dependent relative)
  • Want to claim the deduction for living in a prescribed zone
  • Want to increase the amount of tax deducted at source (you have other non-employment income – contract payments, CPP or QPP benefits or old age security pension)

Only eligible dependents – children under 18 years old and relatives with disabilities – who are living with you in Canada (not just visiting), can be claimed as dependents on your TD1 forms.

If you have an individual’s account, (not connected to an employer in Canada) you should print the generated TD1 Federal, TD1 Provincial and TP-1015.3-V Quebec Forms, sign them and give them to the employer/s they refer to.

You can give the signed forms to the employer in person, by mail or email within 7 days of the start of your employment.

Many workers in Canada need to update their tax credit information from time-to-time. You can easily generate a new TD1 by logging in to your account, updating your info and resubmitting your TD1 to your employer within 7 days after the change in your personal or financial circumstances.

To do this you can simply log in to Sprintax TDS Canada, update your details and get new TD1 forms completed for you.

Generally, you don’t have to submit the TD1/TP-1015.3-V Forms each year if you are claiming only the basic amount of tax credits.

You have to resubmit the forms if you claimed more credits than the basic amount in the previous year (amount for spouse or common-law partners, dependents, disability, pension amount etc.), if there has been a change in the credits you want to claim or you are starting a new employment in Canada.

In order to prepare your TD1/TP-1015.3-V documents in Sprintax TDS Canada, you will need:

  • Your employer number
  • Details relating to the income you earned outside Canada (for non-residents)

Yes, if you have any doubts about your residency status in Canada, you can simply answer a few questions and determine your tax residency based on your answers.

The Social Insurance Number (SIN) is a 9-digit number that you need to work in Canada or to have access to government programs and benefits.

Your SIN is the number that identifies you for income tax purposes. You must give it to anyone who prepares information slips for you, such as your employer, your financial institution, your University and your tax preparer.

Each time you do not provide your SIN when required to do so, you may incur  a $100 penalty. Check your slips. If your SIN is missing or is incorrect, inform the slip preparer. You must also give it to the CRA when you request personal tax information.

If you don’t remember your SIN, there may be ways you can find it yourself. For example, you can find your SIN in the following places:

  • on your income tax return
  • on your tax slips (T4s, T4As, T5s)
  • on your record of employment (ROE)
  • on your SIN confirmation letter from Service Canada
  • RRSP contribution receipts, or
  • you can request your SIN from your employer

If you have employment income in Canada, you have to provide your SIN to your employer within 3 days after the start of your employment.

If you have lost your SIN, you should contact Service Canada at + 1-866-274-6627 or +1 506 548 7961 (outside Canada) for instructions on how you can obtain it from them.

If you are a non-resident in Canada, it is possible not to receive income from employment in Canada, but from another source. In this case, if you never applied for a SIN in Canada and you left Canada, you should apply for an Individual’s Tax Number (ITN) for non-residents in order to file your Canadian tax return. International students who are not going to work in Canada can also apply for an ITN in order to receive T2202, Tuition and Enrolment Certificates from the Universities. can help you with the preparation of the ITN application. Find out more here.

You can access your Sprintax TDS Canada account for as long as you like and if you choose to use our service for future tax years, you can still access the same account.

You can reset your password by clicking the ‘Forgot your password’ link in the login area. We will then send you a password reset email to the email address you provided.

Can’t see the password reset email we sent you? Don’t forget to check your spam folder!

Please make sure you use a valid and current email address and the same one that you used to register with Sprintax TDS Canada.

If you submit the wrong information on your account in Sprintax TDS Canada, you can simply go back through the steps and correct the information, just keep in mind that the corrections should be made before the review stage.

Please note that you are allowed to change any piece of information in your account, such as name, address, and other personal data. However, to protect the user’s privacy and security, the user is allowed to change just one piece of unique personal information at a time and these are:

  • your Name(s)
  • Date of Birth
  • Social Insurance Number

For example, if you made a mistake in your date of birth and you want to correct it, you can do that, but you will be unable to change your name or SIN at the same time as those fields will be locked for editing.

You can simply pay by credit card.

You can review, download or print all your documents on the ‘Dashboard’ page in your account in Sprintax TDS Canada.

Generally, this could be caused by something in your browser or computer interfering with normal network interaction. The issues that you encounter within your Sprintax TDS Canada account can be solved by:

  • Logging in through a different browser. Some versions of Google Chrome are not 100% compatible with the Sprintax TDS Canada software
  • Perform a “hard refresh” in your browser (Windows: Ctrl+Shift+R / Mac: Command+Shift+R)
  • Clearing your browser cache and cookies – A cookie is a small file that is stored on your computer when you visit a website and contains information about your previous interactions with that website. Sometimes cookies can cause problems with your browser loading certain websites, especially if a website has recently gone through an update of its layout. The cache file saves parts of websites you have loaded, but just like cookies, can cause problems if a website has gone through a design change

Note: Clearing your browser cache and cookies may clear information that is saved to websites you visit, such as any usernames or passwords that may be saved and automatically entered each time you visit that site.

Your opinion of our service is very important to us and there are a number of different ways to provide your feedback:

The Sprintax TDS Canada team is ready to help! Simply send an email to:

Service Price
TD1 Federal Forms $19.95
TD1 Provincial Form $14.95
TP-1015.3-V Forms $14.95
Pack of TD1 Federal and TD1 Provincial Forms $24.95
Pack of TD1 Federal and TP-1015.3-V Forms $24.95
Pack of TD1 Federal, TD1 Provincial and TP-1015.3-V Forms $29.95

Generally, you have to keep any records related to federal and Quebec income tax returns (whether paper or electronic) for at least 6 years from the end of the tax year to which they apply. We advise you to send copies of the documents supporting your claim to the Quebec tax office and keep the originals in case they want to see them.

Trusted Partner

Trusted partner - Augustana University logo Trusted partner - Oberlin College and Conservatory logo Trusted partner - University of Cincinnati logo Trusted partner - Ramapo College logo Trusted partner - Life University logo